Tuesday, February 19, 2008

DayBRIGHT: Generic Structures

The underlying system DayBRIGHT uses to translate various data structures has become less about constraining data to a set format, and more about developing a generic structure (a gradient) to fully represent the data in an elegant way. I find this an interesting topic to explore because it has really opened a lot of doors as to how far I can take his project; in particular, in the sheer variance of data I can now use.

RSS feeds, video streams, static images, audio tracks, physical sensor data - all of which can be harbored by a single generic data structure. Each piece of data simply needs its own translator towards being converted to the structure; once that is done - there is no further special-casing needed.

My goal for this project is to have, by the end of semester, a demonstration of how the various types of data listed above can be used to achieve results for an identical operation. In the case of DayBRIGHT, I will be using the gradient structures to light 3D geometry. How this will be done merits its own detailed entry - which is forthcoming.

I am really excited about this idea, it is a blend of engineering/mathematics and visual aesthetics that I have always been drawn to. I am dedicating all of my classes to it in hope that my time commitment will really push this idea as far as it can go.

No comments: