Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shiver - Early Development

I have decided to go ahead and start dedicating a good amount of time toward one of the two major projects I hope to accomplish this semester at ITP. The project name is tentatively called "Shiver" and it involves parsing seismic event data and using that content as a way of provoking both visual and physical simulations. Right now, I am concentrating on the visual side - as it is a nice starting place to begin prototyping the "how" as it relates to progress I will need to make later in development. However, one of the major tasks I wanted to immediately address was the ability to interface hardware I create with the software I am programming. I was able to get an analog signal to influence variables inside Processing using its serial library - with the pictures and code below:



Fig 1.1: Simple circuit hooked up to a Arduino and variable resister
to test analog/serial communication.




Fig 1.2: Still image of Shiver at current development point


Link:
Main Demonstration Page

Processing - Source code:
parse_blocks
xml_parser

Arduino - Source code:
serial_communication

No comments: